Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Journey - The Big Commish is Done!

The Journey
40 x 60"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2017
sold
(commission)

This was a long road, so to speak. And in a good way.

Last December I was thrilled and honoured to be asked to create a painting based on a stunning photo by professional photographer, Les Chelle. My clients had originally hoped to enlarge his photograph (with his permission) on a large scale, but the resolution of the photo didn't work for the size they wanted. At that point they approached me with the idea of painting the scene. Since I use my own resource photos for my work, I wasn't sure I would feel connected enough to someone else's photo to tackle the project. Once I saw the image however, it felt like home. A grid road under a prairie sunset was familiar, yet a welcome challenge at a size I had never tackled before.

I fully respect the fact that a photographer owns the copyright to their images, as do all artists, so I would only take on the project if Les gave his consent, and happily for my clients, he did.

What you see in this painting is my interpretation of his image, coupled with ideas from the lovely duo who had a vision for a statement piece for their home.

And they are lovely, these two people. They are lovely. When I say I was honoured to be asked to do this for them, I do not say that lightly. I was indeed honoured.

I have known him, actually, since I was a child in elementary school. He was a grade ahead of me and a friend of my older sister. After all this time he and his lovely bride found me on Facebook and have been huge supporters and advocates of my work over the last several years. Their story is beautiful. 

They met around Valentine's, were engaged about two weeks later and married within six months. This is the second marriage for both of them, they each had small children when they met, and together they have a wonderful son. They have been together for seventeen years now and if ever there was a story to prove the existence of soul mates, it would be theirs.

This painting is more than just a country road to them. It symbolizes the road they are traveling together and the journey to which they have committed as partners in life. It is not perfect; it is slightly rugged and overgrown, it is beautiful and vast, it is intimate and quiet, and it is long and focused.

I am pleased to say they picked up the painting on Sunday and it has made its journey home to Alberta where I hope it brings them years upon years of joy and contemplation.

© Nicki Ault, 2017

I always listen to music when I paint. This large canvas took many hours, so I heard a lot of music and lyrics during my work time. I happened to play one song quite frequently because the words suited the story of the painting; a journey of a couple going through life together. Click the link in the below title to hear the song.



"I went traveling on a road
I noticed there were flowers by the way
I bent to pick some flowers from the road
You said it's best to leave those flowers where they lay
And then I saw the roses in your smile
And lilies danced as hand in hand the miles passed by

We went traveling on the road
I noticed there were stones along the way
I bent to move the boulders from the road
You said it's best to leave those pebbles where they lay
And then I saw the patience in your smile
And hand in hand we danced as the miles passed by

We were traveling on the road
I noticed there was gold along the way
I bent to pick the treasure off the road
You said its best to leave those pennies where they lay
And then I saw the riches in your smile
And rich as kings we danced as the miles passed by

Now I'm traveling on the road
And you're no longer here to lead the way
I bent under my grief down on the road
But it's best to leave those tears where they lay
And soon I found your image in my heart
And lilies dance as step by step the miles pass by

This marks the end of my journey with this painting. I hope it is all they want it to be. And I am filled with gratitude that they trusted me to create it for them.

No comments: