Saturday, April 21, 2018

A Little Adjustment

A Little Adjustment
48 x 30"
acrylic and oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2018
available

I am so excited to show you this painting!

The studio where I paint has a group show at the Gallery at the Frances Morrison Central Library right now. Ten of us worked from the same three traditional subjects in art (landscape, still life, the figure) over the last ten months, so this show exhibits all of our interpretations of the same subjects. We all had to step out of comfort zones in one way or another. Here is my figurative piece. I am very excited about it - a real stretch for me. The sketching of the figure on the canvas took me a full day (the largest drawing I have ever done), then rather than paint the whole thing with brushes, I stained many, many layers using oil paint and rags- with drying time between between sessions so I could build up layers. Her hair was mostly done with brushes and then I pulled paint off with rags to create highlights and depth. Also, only three colours were used on the entire piece.. 

It is a bit scary to put something out there that is not my usual thing, but exhilarating too! I want to do more!

No comments: